Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Being a Woman in the Tech Industry: Interview with Carolye Ekyarisiima


Carolyne presenting in one of the competition at TANZICT  (Dar es salaam, Tanzania)

In the technology field, I've frequently been asked about my job and the industry I work in. It's uncommon to attend a tech meetup and see many fellow women, and people are often intrigued when I share my past role as a computer scientist focused on programming. Whether it's at conferences or meetups, being one of the few women among many men can be overwhelming.


Women like myself and my colleagues constitute about 20% of the total population of computer scientists and programmers. I thought it would be valuable to open a discussion with someone in the tech industry who has been revolutionizing the field by empowering more girls in tech. This might encourage more women to pursue interests in computer science, engineering, and design.

Today, I'm excited to interview my friend and fellow woman in technology, Carolyne Ekyarisiima.

1. Can you tell us a bit about your background and how you got started in the tech industry?

Carolyne: My journey into tech began during my studies at KIU, where I initially enrolled as a Computer Science student without much prior knowledge of the field. I had always aspired to be a doctor, as it was the only career I knew growing up, encouraged by my father to study science subjects and pursue my dreams. However, financial constraints became a significant issue after I finished my form six in Uganda. The university course I wanted was too expensive, and I saw my dream slipping away. Despite applying for bursaries without success, I was fortunate to be selected to study Computer Science.

Although the field was new to me, the inclusion of "Science" in the course title gave me some comfort. I was drawn to the scientific aspects of the course and quickly developed a passion for technology as I explored its various facets. This initial interest blossomed into a deep love for tech, and I seized every opportunity to learn and grow within the industry.

2. What challenges have you faced as a woman in tech, and how have you overcome them?

Carolyne: One of the biggest challenges has been the underrepresentation of women in the tech sector. This lack of representation often translates into fewer role models and mentors for women entering the field. To overcome this, I actively sought out networks and communities that support women in tech. I also participated in numerous hackathons and competitions, which not only honed my skills but also connected me with like-minded individuals who share a passion for technology.

3. How do you balance your roles as a businesswoman, tech enthusiast, and mentor?

Carolyne: Balancing these roles requires a lot of time management and prioritization. I make sure to allocate dedicated time for each of my interests. For my business ventures in agriculture and finance, I have a structured schedule that helps me manage operations effectively. My passion for tech is integrated into my daily activities, and mentoring is something I am deeply committed to, as I believe it's crucial to inspire the next generation of women in tech. It’s all about setting clear goals and staying organized.

4. What inspired you to start mentoring young girls in coding and entrepreneurship?

Carolyne: My inspiration came from my own experiences and the realization of how few women there are in tech. During the fundraising campaign with OUFLab, I saw firsthand the low participation of women in technology and science. This motivated me to make a difference by mentoring and coaching young girls. I wanted to create a supportive environment where they could develop their skills and see that a career in tech is not only possible but also rewarding.

5. What advice would you give to young African women who are interested in pursuing a career in tech?

Carolyne: My advice would be to stay curious and never stop learning. The tech industry is constantly evolving, and staying up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies is crucial. Also, don’t be afraid to take risks and step out of your comfort zone. Participating in hackathons, attending workshops, and joining tech communities can provide invaluable experience and connections. Most importantly, believe in yourself and your abilities. There is a place for you in tech, and your unique perspective is incredibly valuable.

6. Can you share some of the initiatives you are currently involved in to support women in tech?

Carolyne: Currently, I’m involved in several initiatives aimed at empowering women in tech. I lead coding workshops and boot camps specifically designed for young women and girls. These programs not only teach technical skills but also foster an entrepreneurial mindset. Additionally, I am part of various networks that advocate for greater inclusion and support for women in the tech industry. Through these initiatives, I hope to create a more inclusive and diverse tech community.

7. What are your future goals and aspirations in the tech industry?

Carolyne: Looking ahead, I aim to expand my mentoring programs and create more opportunities for women to enter and thrive in the tech industry. I also want to continue exploring innovative solutions that leverage technology to address local challenges, particularly in agriculture and finance. Ultimately, my goal is to inspire more women to pursue careers in tech and to contribute to a more equitable and diverse industry.

These questions and answers provide a comprehensive view of Carolyne’s experiences, challenges, and contributions to the tech industry, highlighting her role as a mentor and advocate for women in tech.

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Close Menu